One thing we try to make every year at Christmas is Oreo Cream Cheese Truffles. They are so delicious! To put a little spin on it for Fourth of July, I decided to add a cherry in the middle of them. They are so good and festive! Try this recipe for a fun treat for your Fourth of July get-together.
- 1 (14.3 oz) package regular Oreos
- 8 oz brick of cream cheese
- 24 maraschino cherries
- 1 1/2 cups Wilton white candy melts
- 1 Tablespoon solid shortening
- Patriotic sprinkles or jimmies
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and set aside.
- Place Oreos in a food processor or blender and pulse until finely crushed.
- Transfer the finely crushed Oreo crumbs to a large mixing bowl.
- Add the softened cream cheese and mix well until completely blended (about 2-3 minutes).
- Roll the Oreo mixture into 1 inch balls and place on the cookie sheet.
- Next, flatten each ball like a pancake. I used the bottom of a drinking glass.
- Place a maraschino cherry in the middle of each flattened Oreo ball.
- Completely cover each cherry by bringing up the sides of the Oreo mixture and rolling it into a ball again with your hands. Place back on cookie sheet.
- Chill Oreo truffles for at least 30 minutes.
- In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the shortening for 45 seconds. Add the white chocolate melts and stir until completely melted. You may have to microwave for additional 12 second intervals until the chocolate melts. Stir after each interval.
- Using a toothpick, dip a chilled Oreo truffle into the melted white chocolate.
- Immediately, place it back on the cookie sheet and sprinkle with red, white and blue sprinkles or jimmies. (Because the truffles are chilled, the chocolate hardens very quickly). Repeat until all truffles are covered and decorated.
- Store in an airtight container up to 2 weeks.