Frugal Living, Walmart

5 Walmart Savings Hacks You Need to Know

This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for additional questions.

I’m going to level with you. I’ve never liked shopping at Walmart. It always seems to take forever to get through the checkout lane, and using coupons there can be a pain because not all cashiers are trained on how to process the coupons; however, there are quite a few savings you can get at Walmart. Let’s face it, prices are generally lower at Walmart, which is a win/win in itself, but there are even more ways you can save while shopping at Walmart. In fact, there are a few that some people don’t even know about.

Are you a Walmart shopper? If so, you're going to want to make sure you know these 5 savings hacks.

1. You can grocery shop at Walmart without having to step foot in the store.

Unfortunately Walmart has quit price matching other stores, which was a MAJOR way to save! Want to know what they do instead? They offer Grocery Shopping online with FREE store pickup! I tried grocery shopping like this last week and loved it, and here’s why:

1. I can make my menu for the week, see what I have in my cabinet, and order groceries right then.
  2. I can pick them up the same day as long as I place my order before 1 pm.
  3. I save money because I don’t add items to the cart that I find on sale in the store.
  4. I don’t have to get out of my car! (I literally let them know I was on my way via the app, and they came outside with my groceries as soon as I arrived, and loaded them in my car. BOOM!)
  5. I saved $10 on my first order, and you can too! You can get a special coupon code here to save $10 on your first Walmart Grocery order.
  6. Walmart Savings Catcher STILL works with online grocery orders! You don’t have to upload your receipt. Just be sure your Savings Catcher is connected to your Walmart.com account and you use that account to order groceries.

It was literally my best shopping trip ever! I loved not having to drag my kids through the store, stand in line forever, and I knew how much I was spending BEFORE I checked out.

2. Walmart accepts competitor coupons.

If you have a Publix or Target in your area, chances are you have access to quite a few store coupons. You can use these coupons AT Walmart to save even more money! Now, you can’t use a Publix store coupon if you don’t have a Publix store in your area. It must be a competitor within your area.

Walmart’s Competitor Coupon Policy:

• A specific item for a specified price, for example, $2.99
  • Buy one get one free (BOGO) coupons for items with a specified price
  • Have a valid expiration date
  • Are acceptable in black & white or color
  • May not be duplicated

3. Walmart accepts coupons on clearance items.

If you’re like me and love a good deal, be sure to check out your local Walmart’s clearance section. Many times, you can find some great deals. On top of these marked down prices, you can stack manufacture coupons on top of this to grab an even better (or sometimes FREE deal!).

Even without coupons, you can grab some great deals when holiday items go 50% off the day after the holiday.

4. Walmart has $1.00 Clothing Clearance Sales!

Most Walmart stores have $1.00 Clothing Clearance Sales two times a year. Normally these will be in January and July. The $1.00 clothing sale will be on “last seasons clothing”. This means, you can grab a lot of sweaters, long sleeve tees, and pants for just $1.00 in January because they are making room for the Spring/Summer clothes. Alternatively, you can grab swimsuits, tank tops, and shorts for just $1.00 in July to make room for Fall/Winter clothing.

If you have kids, this is a GREAT time to grab clothes for your kids in the next size up. It will end up saving you quite a bit of money over the long run.

Note: These sales are not always marked. Last time I shopped the $1.00 sale, the sale prices on a lot of the items I grabbed had price tags with $14 or more on the tags. When I checked the price at the price scanner, they rang up for just $1.00! So, it’s always good to check.

5. Use the Savings Catcher App.

savings catcher

If you don’t have the Savings Catcher App, download it right now. After you shop at Walmart, you can scan your receipt and it will check the local competitors ads for you! When the app finds a lower price or sale, it will price match it AND deposit the money in your Savings Catcher Account. Once you hit the minimum of $5.00, you can cash out via a Walmart.com gift card.

The upside to this, is you don’t have to check the ads and price match yourself. The downside (that I have found) is it does not always catch the sales to credit my account correctly. You also do not get the credit back via cash, it is via a Walmart.com gift card.

If you prefer, you can enter the number from the bottom of the receipt online here if you’d rather not download the app.

Bonus: An additional way to save at Walmart is to use coupons with the weekly sale items. You can view the latest sale items and weekly deals here, or you can sign up below to the top Walmart deals delivered to your inbox weekly.

Previous Story
Next Story

13 Comment

1. Reply
    mary ray
    February 16, 2016 at 10:51 pm

i know nothing about how to coupon how do you stack coupons?

1. Reply
      Megan
      February 17, 2016 at 12:34 pm

You can’t stack coupons at Walmart because they do not have store coupons; however, you can use a competitor coupon AND a manufacture coupon on the same item to save more money (when they match up).

2. […] This change will not affect Walmart.com prices, or Walmart.com’s online price matching policy. You will also still be able to use Walmart Savings Catcher. […]

3. Reply
    The Char
    May 30, 2016 at 12:02 pm

I should tell my mother about this. She loves couponing.

4. Reply
    Angela
    June 10, 2016 at 6:42 am

Just wanted to let you know that Walmart has stopped price matching. You may now only price match to Walmart.com.

5. Reply
    Hailey
    June 10, 2016 at 10:15 am

Hi, as a Walmart associate I feel the need to correct information. We actually don’t carry our competitors ads, do to the new policy you as a customer must bring proof of the sale or if it is an online price match we need to know where and be able to look it up. It is very time consuming without the ad or proof there. And actually to the comment that WalMart does not have store coupons, we do. It is posted at coupons.com by WalMart for WalMart items. Sorry.

1. Reply
      Megan
      June 10, 2016 at 11:40 am

Hailey, they’re not Walmart store coupons. They are just “redeemable at Walmart” which means they are still a manufacture coupon and can be used at multiple stores. If it was a Walmart coupon, like Target has theirs, you would be able to stack a manufacture coupon with it and you cannot do it at Walmart. On the coupon it states “manufacture coupon” where as Target has “Target Coupon” CVS has “CVS Coupon”, etc.

I did not realize that Walmart does not have the competitor’s ad in the stores. Each store I have been to, they have them there. I will update the post to let people know that they need to have it, just in case.

6. Reply
    Lisa Plants
    July 24, 2016 at 11:20 am

You don’t have to cash out at $5.00 on the Savings Catcher. I let my grow a little and then cash out. Last time I let it build up to $15.00 and it sure does help when you do your bi-weekly grocery shopping, as I do. I’ve been using the Savings Catcher App since October 2014 and I’ve been given back $123.48. It sure helps!

1. Reply
      Megan
      July 24, 2016 at 4:37 pm

I just meant the minimum is $5.00 to cash out. 🙂 That is fabulous that you were able to save that much with Savings Catcher!

7. Reply
    Sweets
    August 8, 2016 at 3:19 pm

As of 8/1/16, Walking Mart no longer matches competitor’s ads.

1. Reply
      Megan
      August 9, 2016 at 1:57 pm

I have not heard that. According to Walmart’s site, Walmart still does price match: http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/31/~/walmarts-price-matching-policy

8. Reply
    Shan
    September 3, 2016 at 8:36 am

Some stores do still ad match, but many have stopped and regardless of what the website says it is ultimately up to the store managers discretion. The BOGO example that you gave for the first tip is actually untrue in 99% of stores. Walmart’s official policy on matching BOGO (which most managers follow) states they only match if the original price of the item is advertised to if an item is $5 BOGO free at a competitor but at walmart it is $3, you will get it at $5 for both, not $3. And if it doesn’t state an original price on the item they are not obligated to honor it at the Walmart price. (I am a Walmart Customer Service Manager btw)

9. Reply
    Lynda
    June 20, 2017 at 2:44 pm

My local Walmart stopped the ad matching when the Savings Catcher App came out. They never did BOGO here either. I let my saving catcher balance grow, You never know when hard times may come.